Wednesday 29 August 2018

Of course always say yes.


Where one thing stops and another begins.

There is nothing surer there comes a time in life when we know that something is going to give. But do we listen and take heed of the warning signs?  Not very often.  

I was so busy the other day I felt a bum just above my ankle and I was aware for a moment that it was painful. Having a very high pain threshold I took no notice it would be sorted in a moment and it seemed that it was the case. 

Later I headed home and sat down to take my show off. it was then I noticed my sock was wet and when I touched it covered my hands red so it was not water. it is not wise to ignore even the smallest of warning signs that all is not well.

On Jan 25, 1990, Avianca Flight 52 from Colombia crashed just 15 miles short of New York's Kennedy International Airport, killing 73 passengers.  

How did this occur? The plane just ran out of gas. Under international regulations, an airliner must carry enough fuel to reach its destination as well as its assigned alternate, plus enough extra to handle at least 45 minutes of delays. 

Due to low fuel condition, the Avianca pilots had requested "priority" (not "emergency") landing. Because the exact word "emergency" was not used, and due to heavy traffic and bad weather conditions, the ill-fated plane was placed on a holding pattern...until it simply ran out of gas. Not taking due care and not giving the correct signals 73 lives were lost.

 very early in my life an incident that may have seemed insignificant at the time, but had a profound influence on the rest of his life, and I should have paid more attention to what was said to me. 

The winter of my ninth year, I went walking across a snow-covered field with my father. As we reached the far end of the field, my father stopped. He turned and pointed out his own tracks in the snow, straight and true as an arrow's flight, and then my tracks meandering all over the field. 

"Notice how your tracks wander aimlessly from the fence to the cattle to the woods and back again," he said. "And see how my tracks aim directly to my goal. There is an important lesson in that." 

Years later I still tell how this experience had greatly contributed to my philosophy in life. 

"I determined right then not to miss most things in life, as my father had."  But maybe I should have paid more attention. Maybe he was telling me that we can take on too much and try to see and do everything and it is not always possible. 

If you wish to be a member of the "Coronary and Depressive and Ulcer Club" here are the rules for all members and prospective members.

1. Your job comes first. Forget everything else. 

2. Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays are fine times to be working at the office. There will be nobody else there to bother you. 

3. Always have your briefcase with you when not at your desk. This provides an opportunity to review completely all the troubles and worries of the day. 

4. Never say "no" to a request. Always say "yes." 

5. Accept all invitations to meetings, banquets, committees, etc. 

6. All forms of recreation are a waste of time.

7. Never delegate responsibility to others; carry the entire load yourself. 

8. If your work calls for travelling, work all day and travel at night to keep that appointment you made for eight the next morning. 

9. No matter how many jobs you already are doing, remember you always can take on one more. 

I think this is worthy of some thought along with my father's message but will I take heed? I doubt it.

Have a great day remember do not overdo it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment